Maya Angelou is known for many things; her books of poetry, books of essays, her seven autobiographical books, and perhaps most importantly… her activism.
But she is also known for her many quotes about leadership that continue to inspire and motivate people today.
So in honor of this phenomenal woman, I’ve compiled 25 Maya Angelou leadership quotes. Let’s jump right in!
Quotes That Bring Out The Leader In All Of Us
It’s so important that, as a society, we continue to inspire more people to take on more “leadership” roles, even if it isn’t in regard to their careers.
And these specific quotes by Maya Angelou definitely have the ability to awaken your inner leader!
- “Those of us who submitted or surrendered our ideas and dreams and identities to the “leaders” must take back our rights, our identities, our responsibilities.”
- “If you don’t like something, change it.”
- “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.”
- “Whatever you want to do, if you want to be great at it, you have to love it and be able to make sacrifices for it.”
- “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive…”
Quotes To Help People Lead Through Love
Maya Angelou was always talking about the importance of love in leadership, and how the best leaders have abundant love inside them.
So this list wouldn’t be complete without some of her famous quotes about how to love others.
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget about what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- “Loving someone liberates the lover as well as the beloved.”
- “If you only have one smile in you, give it to the people you love.”
- “Try to be the rainbow in someone else’s cloud.”
- “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”
Quotes To Help Leaders Keep A Positive Mindset
As you may have noticed already, all of Maya Angelou’s quotes have something in common…
Therefore this section of quotes is dedicated to that inspirational belief…
- “Stormy or sunny days, glorious or lonely nights, I maintain an attitude of gratitude.”
- “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
- “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.”
- “Be present in all things and grateful for all.”
- “Love life. Engage in it. Give it all you got. Love it with a passion because life truly does give back, many times over, what you put into it.”
Quotes About Leading As A Woman
Though many quotes by Maya Angelou are in regards to people in general, she also made a special effort to talk about the struggles of women.
So these next few quotes are ones she made in order to specifically inspire women…
- “Each time a woman stands up for herself, she stands up for all women.”
- “A wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy. A wise woman refuses to be anyone’s victim.”
- “Stepping onto a brand new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation which is not nurturing to the whole woman.”
- “A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.”
- “I am grateful to be a woman. I must’ve done something right in another life.”
My Favorite Maya Angelou Leadership Quotes
The last 5 quotes I’ll be sharing with you are five of my personal favorites. Here you go!
- “… In truth, each of us knows what is the right thing to do. And that’s how I’m guided.”
- “I’m convinced of this… Good done anywhere is good done everywhere. For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they’re stones that don’t matter. As long as you’re breathing, it’s never too late to do some good.”
- “The only thing is, people have to develop courage. It is the most important of all the virtues. Because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtues consistently.”
- “Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning.”
- “If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can transform one million realities.”
Maya Angelou Quotes On Leadership
There’s no doubt that Maya Angelou quotes circulate through the internet quite a bit, but as we all know, it’s for good reason.
As this list proves, they all contain unique and helpful advice that can be applied to so many areas of our lives.
Lastly, I hope I shared some quotes that you may not have heard before, in addition to some of the classics.
Because I feel that some of Angelou’s quotes are simply underrated!
Over To You
So which one of these quotes by Maya Angelou inspired you the most? I’d love to see your answers in the comments at @netwerkmovement.com.
And if you know of a fellow Maya Angelou fan, be sure to send them this post so that they can enjoy these words of wisdom as well.